There are times I want a ridiculously fudgy chocolate brownie. And times I should probably satisfy my sweet tooth a bit more healthily.
Idealistic intentions aside, I’ve found that if I actually have good-tasting (important!) healthy treats on-hand, I don’t end up eating (or craving!) the “bad stuff” all that much.
As time permits, I often spend a chunk of my Sunday making treats to enjoy throughout the week. As of late, this has been one of my go-to recipes (it takes all of 15 minutes to pull together). The Bites check off a whole bunch of “free froms” (no gluten, dairy, refined sugar, added sugar, refined oils, etc. etc.) but still taste great (seriously!).
They are slightly sweet, slightly salty and very enjoyable. Especially after working out, when I’m starving, and willing to gorge on anything in sight! 🙂
Post-Workout Protein Bites
Makes 18 bites
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Snacks
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: Good-For-You
- 4 Medjool dates, pits removed
- 1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
- 2 TB coconut oil (28 g)
- 1/4 tsp fine-grain salt (like table or sea salt)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- Pulverize dates in a food processor until a paste forms, about 40 seconds (the paste will typically come together in a clump).
- Add the walnuts and pulse until very finely chopped, about 35 seconds.
- Add in the coconut oil and salt and pulse just until combined.
- Scrape the batter into a medium-sized bowl and stir in 1/4 cup of the shredded coconut.
- Using a 2-teaspoon scoop, form the batter into round balls, then roll in the remaining 1/4 cup shredded coconut.
- Let chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to firm up. Then, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you want to be super healthy, use sprouted walnuts.
Be careful not to over-process the walnuts, or they’ll turn into walnut butter. (Still delicious, but it will make the bites a bit too tender.)
I use this scoop from Oxo to shape the bites. It works great!
Recipe inspired by Primal Blueprint Quick & Easy Meals.
Keywords: Paleo, Dairy Free, Vegan, Gluten Free, No Refined Sugar, No Added Sugar